Friday, April 16, 2010

Kate Gosselin on Her Custody Battle: 'Days Can Be Dark'

Kate Gosselin faces a bitter custody battle over her eight children with estranged husband Jon Gosselin, but she tells our own Mary Hart that she hopes for a peaceful resolution - and banks on her faith to see her through this difficult time.


"My faith has always been the reason that I can get up in the morning; that I can continue on; it's the reason I had my kids," she tells Mary. "Days can be dark. Days can be very depressing and upsetting and frustrating, but I can rest back and do the best that I can do in the things that I can do and leave the rest to Him."

Kate will face Jon in court on May 25. He claims that her involvement with "Dancing with the Stars" has affected her duties as a mother. She argues that she is simply doing what she needs to do as the main financial supporter of her children.

"I'm here [in L.A.] three days and I'm home the rest of the week," says Kate. "Custody is balanced back and forth. Typically Jon is with the kids when I'm here. I look at it as a humongously wonderful opportunity -- and it's a great way to provide for my kids."

Kate says that the kids get to watch her work hard on the dance floor each week on TV.

"They are allowed to stay up late and eat popcorn and watch mommy dance," she says. "And so they always say the same thing, 'You looked beautiful! I loved your dress! Tony looked really good and you did a good job!'"

Kate has written a new book for her kids, I Just Want You to Know: Letters To My Kids on Love, Faith, and Family, in stores now, and she tells Mary, "I would love to leave my kids a legacy through that book. If the book doesn't sell one copy, I am happy to leave it for my kids and that was my whole goal."
From her struggles and triumphs on "Dancing with the Stars" to her bitter custody battle with Jon Gosselin for her eight children, nothing is off-limits as Kate Gosselin talks to our own Mary Hart -- and co-hosts tonight's show!


First off, does Kate actually feel that she could lose custody of her children?

"I'm a mom. I belong with my kids, and I feel like there's a peaceful resolution," Kate tells Mary. "As quiet as I can keep it, that's my goal for the kids."

"You know, I don't think of worst-case scenarios in any situation," she continues, adding with a laugh, "Um, okay, maybe in 'Dancing' I do -- I could be voted off at any time -- but you know what, keep positive, and my heart is with my kids."

The reality mom and best-selling author has a new book in stores now, I Just Want You to Know: Letters To My Kids on Love, Faith, and Family, chronicling the three years her family lived in their Elizabethtown, PA home and the daily challenges faced raising a family of eight growing children.

"Because of everything we've gone through in the last few years, I wanted my kids to know," she explains. "I just wanted them to know, which is where the title came from, how much I love them, how much they mean to me, and why do moms wait 'til they're diagnosed with cancer or something like that to write letters to their kids? Why can't we all do it now?"

Asked if she has any regrets with her relationship with Jon, she replies, "I think anybody who ends up in a divorce has regrets. I regret that we couldn't work it out for the sake of the kids, but it has caused me to refocus on how very much I love my kids."

As for that admitted "hard exterior" she exhibits at times, Kate explains, "Being a mom of eight kids who has gone through a lot of tough times, sometimes that is maybe a coping mechanism for me, and sometimes it's because I have to be that old-time strict mom. … But my kids see through to the heart of me, and really on the inside I'm just a mushy gooshy ball of love towards them."

No comments:

Post a Comment